Summer 2011 Courses: 4000-Level
First 5-Week Summer "F" (May 31, 2011 - July 7, 2011)
ENG 4953.01F / 6973.01F: Special Topics: Topics in Latino Studies: The Folklore of Spain and Texas
Instructor: Norma Cantú
Class Time: June 10 - July 1 in Toledo, Spain
Class Location: Universidad de Castilla La Mancha (UCLM), Toledo, Spain
Designed as a study abroad course, this class requires readings, lectures, field trips.
- Norma Cantú and Olga Najera Ramirez, Chicana Traditions("Introduction" and selected essays).
- Elliot Oring, Folklore Genres, 'Introduction" (selected chapters).
- View and Study selected web sites such as Cristina Rodero’s Spanish festival photos and Al Rendon’s festival potos (here and here).
- Dorothy Noyes, Fiesta in the Plaza
- Caro Baroja, Julio. Various Essays in Spanish
Course Assignments for Grades
Participants will write:
- ENG 6973 students: A long 20-25 page essay due July 8, 2011.
- ENG 4973 students: A 10-12 page essay due July 8, 2011
- Keep a field notes journal and a reading journal.
- 5 short reflection papers